Sunday, October 5, 2008

A New Day

Today is the beginning of a new day.  This is my new blog, "A Conversation With Myself."  I chose this title because I doubt anyone will read what I have to say.  This blog will most likely be a place where I can hash out my thoughts and have a sounding board for expressing creative ideas, joys in ministry and frustrations of life.  Though I hope the last one doesn't manifest itself too often... 

I recently shaved off the goatee I have had for several years.  Though it morphed into many variations, there was always some form of facial hair on my chin.  I suppose that this isn't a BIG deal as I did so to start a new venture with my face, a full beard.  Starting on Oct. 1 I began with a clean slate and will see what transpires through the winter months of NW Indiana.

I just want to talk for a minute about the feeling I had for the few days after the shave.  It was as though part of me had been taken away.  I could feel the breeze on my chin, as though someone had rubbed icy-hot on it.  (You know the sensation that causes.)  It was new and different; yet it was very freeing and exciting.  My wife even commented on how it felt to kiss me, and how different it was to look at me.  I will even admit that in my vanity, it was almost giddy to look at myself in the mirror.  

That time though has passed, and now I have at least some stubble that had found its home again on my face.  The beard has begun and there is some level of comfort again for me. (Glad that I don't look 17 again).

I say all of that for two reasons.  I hope that the updates on my beard will intrigue anyone who happens upon this blog.  If you have nothing better to do than to check out beard updates, I am glad I can give you some sort of entertainment.  Secondly, I have several friends who are in the process of starting churches or business ventures, or are in a new phase of ministry.  I think there are a couple of things we can learn from my facial hair experience.

First, you have to make the cut.  It can be hard sometimes to remove yourself from something that is so much a part of you.  There is comfort and enjoyment in what you know, who you know.  There is experience to build from and growth that has already taken place.  You might be in a good place financially or ministerially and it might not even make sense to make the cut. The other option might be full of unknowns, uncertainties, challenges and even needs that would hinder the work you desire to do.  That can be a big wall to climb over when trying to make the cut.  I think of it this way: When God calls you to something, that is the best place you can be, because you know that you have His encouragement and guidance that will carry you through the challenging times that come with making the cut.

The other thing that I am learning through this facial hair ordeal is that there are always second chances.  This isn't so much related to the other, although I am sure we have all missed the boat a time or two in trying to follow God's will.  Maybe we have made the wrong cut, or made the right cut to early or late.  Regardless, this truth can be applied to so many times in our lives.  Just like the facial hair grows back, so we too are continually growing and striving to be more like Christ.  That doesn't mean we don't stumble, or accidentally jam the trimmers right into the middle of our 2 in. goatee.  We all make mistakes, but the glorious truth of grace allows us to have a second or third chance. or fourth or fifth, well you get the point. The other thing that happens when you make the cut because you need a second chance; The goatee comes back thicker and fuller and stronger. We do too.

I hope you find this encouraging to you. I know this was a long and weird post.  But like I said this whole facial hair stuff is the catalyst and hopefully the fuel to make this blog run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home